Thursday, September 19, 2013

I needed this

Work led me to Virginia on the week I needed to do my last 20-mile run. I was nervous I would be too tired or lazy to get my run done, but I knew how important this was. Not only did my legs need it, but my mind needed it too. The past few weeks was full of crappy runs, and I needed this run to go well so I could look back on it during the marathon.

My plan was to run a 1/2 marathon in the morning and run 7 miles later in the day. Luckily, I changed my mind the day before and I decided to run 20 miles by myself. 

An angel told me about the W&OD trail. She told me it was a bike & run trail that had stores and bathrooms throughout the trail. This was the solution for my water problem (because I can't carry water for a 3-hour run).

I found the trail and it was heaven. Maybe it was just because I was running somewhere new, but I loved this trail!


Within the second mile, I came across a stop with a restaurant and bike repair stop. I know how popular this trail was and how friendly everyone was. Within four miles, I came across a bike stop - port-o-pottys, air-filling station, and benches.


The halfway point was at the W&OD Railroad station. It was near a park and downtown area.


Bike love


I took a caffeinated gel at the halfway point and it really pepped me up. I felt like I was flying. I was running 8:15 miles. But my knees were feeling a bit tight because the road was a bit off-camber which always makes my knees hurt. I loved seeing this stretching post.


Yes! I did it! 20 miles in under three hours (2:50), about 8:35 pace. I couldn't have been happier! If I feel this well on race day, then I'll be meeting my goals for sure.


So what is my goal for race day? Well, my first goal is to PR (3:59. That shouldn't be hard to do. Second goal is under 3:40. And the ultimate goal is 3:34, which would qualify me for Boston. I can't expect to qualify for Boston on my first try, or while I'm still so young (it's a faster qualifying time when you're younger), but it would be so awesome if I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment