Monday, January 7, 2013

My 2013 Resolutions

It's already a week into 2013 and I'm just now deciding on my resolutions for this year. Last year was such a great year that it will be hard to top it. But I need goals to keep motivated so here are my goals for this year.

#1 Sub-1:40 half-marathon
This is my favorite running distance because it's a good mix of speed and endurance. I just haven't been able to get under that 1:40 hump. In 2012 I actually only ran two stand-alone halfs and each one was under bad conditions (being really sick and post-Ironman). I have several halfs scheduled for this year. Let's see if I can make it happen.

#2 No french fries
I'm crying inside as I write this. I eliminated french fries from my diet two years ago when I had this as a resolution. Getting pregnant changed the outcome, but this year I am determined to keep it. I'm going to add a little asterick of allowing myself to indulge after a big race (races longer than one hour).

#3 No midweek sweets
This is a bad resolution because it's not quantitative, but I need to focus more on my nutrition. I think I could be a better athlete if I ate better. Yes, I train A LOT so that I can eat whatever I want, but I'm not young anymore. My metabolism has slowed down and I can see the results of a bad week of eating and of a good week.

#4 2:40 time at OC Tri
I've done this race for the past five years. I love it because it's on my training grounds. But I just can't seem to get any faster on my bike despite more training. My run is killer and my swim is ok. The bike is when I can gain some minutes to get my 2:40 time.

#5 Plank-a-Day
I need a stronger core and I'm hoping this will help me. I know just doing a plank every day won't get me there by itself. but I'm hoping that once I'm on the floor I will continue with a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment