Thursday, April 4, 2013

Our "Romantic" Getaway

We dropped off the boy and we dropped off the dog, now our weekend getaway can begin!!

What did we choose to do? Race an Half-Ironman. Yes, that's our idea of fun. Since the race was in Oceanside, about 60 minutes away, we decided to get a hotel for the night before the race.

We drove down to Oceanside with butterflies in our stomachs. Skyler had been sick all week and had thrown out his back the week before. He wasn't even sure he was going to race. I, on the other hand, was just feeling nervous. So much pressure to do well on my "A" race. 

The drive to Oceanside takes us through part of the race course. The bike course starts in Oceanside and goes north to San Clemenete, off Cristianitos. Excitement shot through my body when we passed that off-ramp.


We drove straight to packet pick-up and did all that official stuff. I got a new Ironman bracelet to add to my collection. Yes, I still have my Ironman bracelet from November. It's my badge of honor.


I loved this shirt from the expo! It's strange to say that I've "chicked" Skyler, but that's how it happened at Ironman. I certainly don't want to flaunt it though. He had a bad day and I don't think that will ever happen again.


Having alone time with Skyler was so wonderful. When we don't have Desmond, I am usually able to turn off my mommy brain and remember what it was like before we had a baby. Don't get me wrong...I love Desmond, but sometimes it's good to just be me and Skyler again.


We picked up dinner and stopped at the grocery store for some morning food essentials. We tried to be asleep before 9:30pm, but Skyler is always up a little later. I used to not be able to sleep on race night, but motherhood has brought new perspective to my life: sleep when you can. 

Stay tuned for my full race report....

No comments:

Post a Comment