Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Ragnar Made Possible By...

You can't head into a Ragnar Relay without being prepared. Maybe you can squeak by with a normal 12-person team, but when you're on an ULTRA team, there's no time for stopping.

Last year I got super sick and thought I'd never do a relay again. Yet here I was again, but this time I had the tools I needed to survive.

First on the list was Dramamine. Sitting in the back of a 12-seater van, starting & stopping a million times, will really do a number on your stomach. Thankfully I brought these and my stomach was happy.


Ragnar weekend turned out to be another hot weekend. I loaded up on water and Nuun the days before, and continued to chug it all weekend long. I especially loved the new Cherry Limeade flavor, which had caffeine. I love that Nuun has lots of sodium so that the hot weather didn't rob me of all of my water supply.


I regularly eat Honey Stinger waffles, but the gels were new to me. I usually only eat vanilla because gels can be hard to swallow, literally. I reached for the fruit smoothie flavor when I ran out of my normal gels. I was pleasantly surprised how thin the consistency was and how good it tasted. I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to Honey Stinger gels from now on.



I've been a KT Tape user for several years now. The new PRO tape is even better because it sticks for several days. I applied some KT Tape mid-relay because my IT Band was acting up. It really is magical. I recommend this product to strangers all the time and I stand by it.



Oh compression! Some people believe and some just don't understand. Of course I was skeptical several years ago when it first became popular. But after experiencing the magic of it, I became a believer. I use compression several times a month, whether it's calf sleeves or full-length tights. SKINS is my favorite brand and I view them as the highest quality. I wore SKINS recovery tights between each of my legs at Ragnar. I also slept in them the night after the relay. I wish I could live in them forever because of how great they make my legs feel.



I packed several peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the weekend. This is a normal meal for me at home, so I figured I should stick with what I know. I ate one for lunch, one during the night, and one in the morning.



I started going to Hit the Mark Fitness right after I had Desmond. These boot camp classes really helped me jump back into fitness. Some months I go several times a week, and some months not at all. I wish I could go more often, but with Desmond and Skyler's job, it's not easy making it work. But every time I go I feel great. I love feeling the sweat and pushing harder than I would go myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment