Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Marathon Training Week #1



I chose to sign up for a marathon. What was I thinking? I hate running marathons! And the training? Even worse!

This time is going to be different. I'm going to train right and give myself plenty of time. We are about 4 months out from race day and I've already completed my first week of training.

My marathon training plan is going to be different than most people's. I WON'T be running 60 miles weeks. I WON'T be running more than 4 days a week. And I WON'T be doing more than one long run a week. Am I crazy? I plan to prove that you don't need to do these things to get a decent marathon time.

My PR is 3:58 right now and I hope to improve that by at least 15 minutes. My only hiccup in the plan is some pain in my left foot. Worst case scenario is a stress fracture and I have to rest for a month. I'm getting it checked out next week. Fingers crossed it's quickly fixable.

Here's what my first week looked like:

Monday - 1:15 on the trainer
Tuesday - Treadmill 6.76 miles (5 @ 7:30 pace)
Wednesday - Hill repeats on bike, 25 miles 1:58
Thursday - Treadmill 7.75 miles (8 x 800 @ 6:54 pace)
Friday - Swim 1800 yards & Strength 0:15
Saturday - Bike pulling trailer, 21.6 miles 1:31
Sunday - Family run 9 miles 1:22

No comments:

Post a Comment