Saturday, February 2, 2013

8 Miles Under 60


After my unsuccessful attempt at breaking 1:40 1/2 marathon last month, I thought it was unattainable. I was putting in the distance, the speed, and the desire, but I wasn't quite there.

But that doesn't mean I was ready to stop trying. The Disney Princess 1/2 marathon is just three weeks away and I'm still working hard to overcome that barrier.

Part of the solution is treadmill running. As much as I hate it, it is essential since I have a baby to look after all day long. My stroller runs just weren't cutting it when I needed to work on speed. So Thursday, after dropping Des off at Kids Club, I walked over to the treadmill to start my dreaded workout.

I decided at the last minute to make this a long and fast run. No breaks. No walking. No speed adjustments, except for faster.

I started my Black Eyed Peas Pandora station and started running. Before I knew it I was over half-way done! I kept the pace at 7:30/mile for 6 miles, then upped the speed for the last 2 miles. It wasn't easy, but I wasn't dying at the end either. It was hard, but a bit easier than I feared.

Success! 8 miles at just under 60 minutes (59:50)! Can I keep up that pace for another 5.1 miles? Add a little race adrenaline and I think it's possible. Princess 1/2 here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment