Monday, February 18, 2013

Race Report: OC Chili Trail Run Series #1


I've raced in the OC Chili Trail Run Series the past two years and this will be my third. I am super competitive at this event. Usually I don't compete with anyone but myself because I want a new PR. But I do well at this series so I have become competitive with everyone.

Two years I was in third place after the second race and was ready to podium overall. Then I found out I was pregnant and lost it all on the third race. Why? Because trail running gets your HR going so fast that I was fearful I would miscarry. Fourth place overall = first person not on podium.

Last year this was my first event coming back from giving birth. I was a little slow at the beginning and never caught up. Fifth place overall. At least I improved each race.

This year I'm planning on taking that podium by storm. 

Bummer was that the first race was a road race because of rain the previous night. No biggie, I am faster on the road anyway. The race began and I was fourth woman. I passed third and gained her spot within minutes. I was ecstatic! I kept looking behind me to see if any woman was trying to sneak up. None in sight. I had this in the bag.....or so I thought. Dang it! On the last turn-around, which was about 3/4 miles from the finish, two high school girls showed up out of nowhere. I wasn't going to let them spoil my parade. I picked up the pace and was pushing HARD. They caught me at the last 20 yards and I just stopped. I walked across the finish line. My husband was furious. Yes I'm a quitter. I was just so mad!!

I ended up as 5th overall woman. I was 2nd in my age group, just behind the 1st overall woman (and 2nd overall finisher -- she's fast!) Not a great start for wanting to podium. My only hope is that the two high school girls aren't great trail runners and will blow it next time. More pressure to do well!


Overall: 5.27 miles, 38:30, 7:23 pace
Mile 1 8:02
Mile 2 7:27
Mile 3 6:32
Mile 4 7:39
Mile 5 7:10
0.27 1:41

No comments:

Post a Comment