Friday, July 12, 2013

Race Report: 4th of July "5k" 2013


Our church puts on a FREE 5k every 4th of July. It's a fun event that we've enjoyed doing the past 5 years. This year was just as great, although I was recovering from strep throat so my body was a bit weak.

We woke up bright and early for the race so we could get the dog and the boy ready. We left Pumpkin at home, but brought Desmond and the stroller to the race with us. Luckily we were able to find someone to watch him for 20 minutes while we did the race or else I was going to have to push him.

We did an easy 1/3 mile warm-up so get the juices flowing. 5k is such a short distance.

The race began and everyone shot off like a cannon. Seriously, everyone was going a 5:30/mile pace. Too crazy for me. No problem because I passed lots of them as they adjusted. I chugged along at a fast pace and felt ok. I was 3rd place woman for the first mile. Then I turned around and noticed a women right behind me. I picked up the pace and she matched it. Around Mile 1.5 we hit an uphill. I tried to keep a fast pace, but it was tough. She passed me and I was a bit defeated, but kept going. 

Mile 3 begins at the top of a long downhill. I wasn't too far behind 2nd and 3rd, so I began to be hopeful again. I slowly started gaining on them. I passed the woman who had passed me before. The hill leveled out, but surprisingly I passed the other girl, who was 1st last year at this race. I told her to keep up with me, but I think she was a bit deflated.

I had about 1/2 mile left, yet my body was feeling so weak. I began counting in my head and told myself I would be done before I reached 200. I made the last turn to the finish line and wanted to sprint, but I had nothing left. I just needed to keep my pace and I would do it. Yes! 2nd place! I was so happy! 20:33 was my time. I think I did it in 20:03 last year, but I certainly didn't have strep throat last year.

I was 2nd overall woman and 1st in my age group. Not bad for an old, marathon-training Ironman.


Mile 1 6:47
Mile 2 7:21
Mile 0.92 6:42

Skyler didn't do so bad either. He had the same awards as me: 2nd overall male and 1st in his age group. He finished about 2 minutes faster than me. He was disappointed in his time because he knows he can go faster, but I'm proud of him. 1st place was a super-fast 17 year-old. Hard to compete with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment