Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Lead Up to the Big Day

Wednesday: We dropped Desmond off at my parent's house since my mom would be flying with him to Utah in the morning. I was so sad to leave him, but excited to get this journey started.


Thursday: We dropped off kid #2, Pumpkin, at the kennel. Surprisingly she was excited to get inside. She has learned she won't be there forever. What a good girl! We were soon on the road.



It's been a long time since Skyler and I have been on a trip by ourselves. It felt so abnormal to not be getting a baby out of the car every time I got out of the car. We arrived in Tempe about 6 hours later. We checked into our hotel, which was a little ghetto. We unpacked and hopped on our bikes for a little ride around the lake. We rode the run course, which is about 8.5 miles. We met some of our friends later for dinner.


Friday: We headed over to the race venue to check-in and walk through the expo. Our hotel was just a mile away from the race venue. After we picked up our stuff we did a little jog around the lake. 2.4 looked really daunting. Nerves settling in.

We headed back to the hotel after lunch and did a whole lot of nothing. Actually I laid out by the pool for a few hours. It was such a weird feeling to have nothing going on. We couldn't do a workout, we couldn't eat yummy food, we couldn't walk around, we were forced to lay and do nothing. Very weird.


The best parts of the day were FaceTimes with Desmond. I'm glad he was familiar with the concept already, so he kinda knew what to expect. He seemed like he was having a great time away from us.


Saturday: We headed over to race venue for the practice swim. The water temperature had dropped from 68 degrees the week before to 62. I jumped in and instantly regretted it. I'd rather be shocked on race day than have a full 24 hours to think about how cold the water is. We swam around for about 15 minutes, then got out. Next on the list was dropping off our bikes, T1 bags, and T2 bags.



So many bags to pack. Made it even more nerve-racking to make sure you don't forget something and don't pack it in the wrong bag.


Next, we did a whole bunch of nothing. I can't remember a day that has gone by as slow as this day did. We were both so nervous and anxious to get this party started, but the day just dragged. We spent some time lounging in our hotel pool for a while. We had lots of time to kill so we searched around for cupcakes. I wanted to make sure I had yummy treats waiting for me when I finished the race.


I knew where to look for cupcakes thanks to this girl, Missy. She is my cupcake triathlete twin. She lives in Arizona, raced her first Ironman, and loves cupcakes too. If only we lived closer..


Later that night we met our teammates for dinner at Sauce. The spaghetti and meatballs was delicious. Bedtime 10:00pm. I'm surprised I was able to sleep as well as I did. After having a baby, I've learned to sleep whenever possible. My race nights are a whole lot more productive.


Race day begins at 4:30am. Stay tuned for the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment