Friday, November 9, 2012

Natural Running Class: Week #1


My friend Jill has recently decided she wants to run a half-marathon. She is currently a casual runner, but is ready to take it to the next level. To start her off, she signed up for a Natural Running Class. Of course I was interested in joining her, even if the class takes place during the month of my Ironman.

Of course I didn't sign up without finding out what the class entailed and was assured that attending & participating wouldn't hinder my race. Post-race might be a different story though.

Anyways, Tuesday was our first class and it mostly consisted of the instructor evaluating our form. We also did a few exercises introducing us to better running form. I was nervous that learning this just two weeks before my race would screw up my brain because I don't want to incorporate something new, but I learned that this isn't some "new" kind of running, it's learning about natural running form. This will not hurt me.

So the two things I took away from the first night of class are: stand tall and smaller strides underneath my body. This isn't new information, but it is a kick in the pants to do it. I took my new running form out for a spin during my brick workout the next day. Four miles off the bike at an easy sub-8 pace. I think this is working. 

Hoping my form gets better so I can change to cuter running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment