Sunday, November 25, 2012

Natural Running Class: Week #3

Running uphill and downhill. This is what I need to learn for efficient trail running. I really love trail running, but I don't get to do it enough. Mostly, just when I race. Yeah, that's how infrequently I train run.

This week in class we worked on running form for uphill and downhill running. I thought I was a good downhill runner, but it turns out that even though I am fast, I am totally burning out my quads. I've definitely noticed that after races, but just thought that was part of trail running. What I need to do is kick my butt. Yes, smaller steps with a buttkick on each stride. It feels a little weird, but my quads don't feel like they are getting a major workout (which is good).

I think I have uphill running figured out already. I knew that I need to take small, short steps when running uphill. I just need to make sure that I'm not bending at the waist when I do it. Stand tall.

We also learned some stretches, which I can't remember at the moment. Oh, one is a bridge exercise, but you pull one knee into chest so your back doesn't arch.

I got new running shoes: New Balance 870. They are bright pink and yellow. Of course way cuter than my old red & white K-Swiss. Hopefully they will work out just as great or greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment