Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Natural Running Class: Week #2

Last night was my second week of my natural running class. It's funny because it's not like I'm learning or hearing anything new, but the fact that I'm actually applying it and using it is the part I've never done before.

So we talked about 180 cadence running. I've always known this is the magic running number, but I haven't been consistent at testing it. We practiced it for a bit last night. I just need to train my brain to understand that I CAN run fast while taking smaller steps.

Sally told us that runners are notorious for having weak hips and glutes. Guilty! So she showed us some stretches to help with that. Stretches that need to be done before each run. Calf raises on ledge, calf raises while lowering one leg, and lunges. Also we did some exercises with a band: side-steps (band at knee) and threading (band at midfoot with straight leg, bend & flex foot while pulling back on band).

We also practiced leaning forward at the ankles (not hips) while running. This is difficult because my body wants to bend at the waist. She showed us the Superman run to help correct this.

I wasn't planning on applying this knowledge at Ironman this week, but I'm changing my mind. It's not like I have to commit to one way or the other. I will just try to apply what I've learned and if it becomes painful or difficult, I will abandon. I can't imagine it would hurt me in any way. I just need to concentrate on form, that will be the hardest part. So here it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment