Friday, December 7, 2012

Natural Running Class: Week #4

The last week of my running class was bittersweet because I was sad for it to be over, but I was excited to learn how to apply what we had learned the past 3 weeks.

This week was about speed. We did some drills to help us determine if we were weaker on one side or the other. One drill was hopping on one leg around a four-square grid, clockwise and counter-clockwise. I determined I'm pretty weak on both sides. Another drill was one-legged running, which was impossible for me to do. I just looked like a huge goof. I tried showing Skyler when I got home...and I still looked like a goof.

Another useful drill was using speed in a 3-stepped drill. You did normal running for 2 steps, then did an extra boost for the third step. 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, etc.

I got my evaluation after class and Sally gave me some exercises I can do at home to help my weak hips and glutes. Side-step with bands, clam, donkey planks, etc. I'm trying to do at least one a day in hopes I can get stronger and faster.

I would definitely recommend this class to any beginner or advanced runner. I learned a lot and hope that the application yields faster race results next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment