Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Race Report: Turkey Trot 10k 2012

Turkey Trots are some of my favorite races. Mostly because they give me an excuse to eat lots of food on Thanksgiving day and not feel too guilty. It's been three years since we've raced one because last year I was 9 months pregnant and the year before we were in St. George (and sadly they don't have a Turkey Trot there).

This year we decided to get my family involved too. After an email filled with lots of peer pressure, I got my brother, sister, and dad to commit to running a 10k with us. I was so excited we were all going to race! My mom volunteered to watch Desmond (thanks Mom!).

So as the day gets closer my focus is only on Ironman. I really didn't even think about the fact that this Turkey Trot was just four days after Ironman. Oh well. I can make it a fun run, right? In reality, I don't think I have any "fun run" genes in my body...too competitive. 

I was super excited for the family to be together for this race. We lined up on the starting line and the race began. I ran side-by-side with Eric, but we kept Holly in our sights. I think Eric really wanted to catch her. Holly is fast so I figured I didn't have a chance.

Eric and I stayed together and I was super impressed at how fast he was running. Holly stayed about 30 seconds ahead of us, near my friend Kelly. Eric and I were feeling great and were actually negative splitting each mile. We ran past Holly at the turn-around and Eric was even more determined to catch her. The last two miles descend onto the Santa Ana River Trail, my local training grounds. Eric and I slowly started to reel Holly and Kelly in. After a few minutes we passed Kelly who was having an asthma attack. About 1/4 mile from the finish line we approached Holly. She was throwing up and pushing really hard. Eric sprinted past her, but I slowed a bit to see if she was ok. She looked at me and said, "I don't think I can finish." This was hilarious to me because the finish line was really just steps away. I said she'd be ok and sprinted ahead (am I a bad sister?). She was right behind me. The Salas siblings finished just seconds apart from each other.


Even though I was excited to have such a great race, I was even more excited for Eric, Holly, and my dad, as this was their first 10k! I was so happy to watch my dad cross the finish line. He has been there so many times to watch me, and this time I got to watch him. I'm the proud one this time! Great job Dad!


Even though we should have been struggling to even walk from our Ironman four days earlier, Skyler and I both PRed at the 10k distance. I can't believe how fast Skyler ran! He's so amazing! 

Skyler 41:21 (6:41 pace) 1st in age group
Elise 46:06 (7:27 pace) 1st in age group


No comments:

Post a Comment